Sunday, October 9, 2016

Deck Plan - Hammer Class 100 ton Merchant

I've got a sketchbook filled with deck plan sketches, mostly small stuff - 100 to 200 tons, merchant ships, scouts and couriers, a few small military ships. As time allows, I'd like to clean them up and post them here.

Hammer Class 100 ton Merchant
Using a custom 100-ton hull, the Hammer Class Merchant is a commercial vessel used for small cargo shipping and trading purposes. It mounts jump drive-A, maneuver drive-A, and power plant-A, giving a performance of jump-2 and 2G acceleration. Fuel tankage for 40 tons supports the power plant and one jump-2. Adjacent to the bridge is a computer Model 1bis. There are three staterooms and no low berths. The ship has one hardpoint and one ton allocated to fire control. Installed on the hardpoint is a pop-out double turret, which mounts two beam lasers. There is one ship's vehicle: an enclosed 4 man air/raft. Cargo capacity is 15 tons. The ship is streamlined.

The merchant ship requires a crew of three: pilot/navigator, engineer, medic/gunner. With it's relatively large cargo bay adjacent to the main airlock, the Hammer Class is easily converted to other uses. Popular conversions include the Hammer-Hunter variant used by bounty hunters and the Ore Hammer variant used by belters.






------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a higher resolution PDF, click this link: (Traveller Starship Deckplan Hammer Class Merchant). The deckplan was created to be printed out on 24"x36". Scale is 1" = 5'-0" so it can be used with 25mm miniatures. Enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 comments:

  1. I've got to say, I like this one. I think that the big bay doors in the roof for cargo holds is an underused thing, and yet would make perfect sense in a world with cheap anti-grav for lifting stuff: just go overhead and lower it in, job done.

    I think a larger version of this ship - similar design, but 200 tons - would be really good, if you ever have the time.

    (And I'm glad I can see where the landing gear go! ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw, this is awesome! Would you like to join us at the TrR website? We love collaborating! http://travellerrepublic.yolasite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. thumbs up - love small (up to c. 800 or so) traveller ships

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images, but a nice view of the bottom of the ship, and I ortho views of all your creations would be wonderful to us deck plan naval designers, out in the imperium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I plan to do a lot more with this ship, unfortunately real life has put a serious damper on my Traveller hobby lately. Someday though!

      Delete
  5. SO.. I just had another thought.

    The Hammer is a great little ship. Versatile etc. Now... How would a company 'Stretch' a Hammer's legs?
    My thought?
    Reduce the size of the bridge. (Is in the rules)
    Save about 4 to 6 ton.
    Up the quality of the flight controls to off set the penalties.
    Use said mass savings to add in 'Drop tank' couplings.
    Now said ship can have her tanks full 'Plus' more jump fuel.
    Ship charges the J-2 feild, blows the tanks and slips into Jump space.
    Comes out of jump a week later still with enough fuel for another J-2.
    Not a quick way of covering a J-4 route.... But do-able.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi mate. I really like this little ship. Would you mind if I did a deckplan of this vessel? My blog.
    https://woolshedwargamer.com/category/deckplans/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as it is for your own use or you make it freely available that's fine. I'd be curious to see what you come up with!

      Delete
    2. I have finally gotten around to start working on this. Thanks for permission - even if I am four years late.

      Delete
    3. LOL! I can't tell you the number of Traveller projects I have started that I am four years (or more) late in developing. Good luck and let me see what you've created when you are finished, if you are so inclined.

      Delete
    4. How do you want attribution? Is it (c) 2018 Robert Pearce or (c) 201 Pearce Design Studio LLC?

      Delete
  7. A 300 ton version called that apollon class high passage transport is made and approved by Robert as a similar starship to the beowulf class ship, but exclusive to high passage Travellers is available, send request to me at Devinedesigns@coolsite.net. and will send images and or a sample of the ship if your interested in it.

    ReplyDelete